Microsoft liberated Remote Desktop Services Web Client last week. This is the last improvement in the RDS roles and for me, it's a significative new feature because it offers us to consume an app or desktop from a client without Rdp or remote desktop app. What is the same, from a client with only a HTML 5 supported browser.
Before installing/adding this new feature you need to know:
- The RDS farm is not using Azure Application Proxy
- RD Gateway, RD Connection Broker and RD Web Access are in Windows Server 2016 or higher
- Kind of license are per User
- Have installed https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4025334/windows-10-update-kb4025334 on the RD Gateway
- Public Certificates are installed.
- Microsoft says. Windows 10, 2008R2 or higher are supported as client but I have this role used by my Mac OS High Sierra and others with Chrome.
- You have published this farm as wildcard or public valid certicates and the user experience connecting to the farm works without any advertisement. If there were a problem with internal certificates connecting from the Wan, you should review this post https://ryanmangansitblog.com/2013/03/10/configuring-rds-2012-certificates-and-sso/ mainly this part: Set-RDSessionCollectionConfiguration –CollectionName QuickSessionCollection -CustomRdpProperty “use redirection server name:i:1 `n alternate full address:s:remote.domain.com”
Steps to install RDS Web Client
1. Export the current certificated that you are using in the RD Connection broker as .CER
1.2 Add Computer Certificates